Monday, February 4, 2008

Romney Evolves On Gun Control

Ran across some discussion in the conservative blogosphere today about Romney's positions on gun control, and thought I'd post a sampling of his views through the years.

Romney in 1994:

When asked about his then-support of the Brady Bill and the federal assault weapons ban:

'"That's not going to make me the hero of the NRA"

and

"I don't line up with the NRA.'"

Romney while running for governor of Massachusetts in 2004:

"We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts; I support them. I won't chip away at them; I believe they protect us and provide for our safety."

Romney in December 2007, on Meet the Press:

MR. RUSSERT: So the assault ban that expired here because Congress didn’t act on it, you would support?

GOV. ROMNEY: Just as the president said, he would have, he would have signed that bill if it came to his desk, and so would have I.

Romney in an interview on Saturday:

"Yeah, I don’t support any gun control legislation, the effort for a new assault weapons ban, with a ban on semi-automatic weapons, is something I would oppose. There’s no new legislation that I’m aware of or have heard of that I would support. In regards to guns, I think we have enough legislation and should enforce the laws as they exist.  I was pleased that when I ran for Governor that I received the endorsement of the NRA and I hope to receive their support now."

(1994 statements sourced here; 2004, 2007, and 2008 statements sourced here.)

 

By the way, the NRA didn't endorse Romney when he ran for governor.  That's either a mistake (one he's made more than once) or a lie. 

No comments: