Friday, May 16, 2008

Gay Marriage in California: Meh

So the California Supreme Court has ruled that California must offer homosexuals the right to marry, not just the right to enter into "civil unions."  Maybe it's the fact that the Court based it's decision on the California Constitution instead of the U.S. Constitution, or the fact that I don't really have strong feelings against gay marriage as a policy matter (actually, I'd like to see governments gradually get out of the marriage business altogether), or the fact that California voters will probably pass a constitutional amendment overturning the ruling this fall, but I'm having trouble mustering up a lot of outrage over the case.  Don't get me wrong, though I haven't read the opinion yet I'll bet the majority's legal arguments are probably quite weak, but it's a bit hard for me to get terrifically exercised about a state court decision on state law that likely won't be stand for long.

Though, maybe I'm just outraged out for the time being.

No comments: